The default Web Console for System Center Operations Manager has tremendous potential. It is feature rich and provides access to rich data about your environment. It includes Alerts, Events, States, Performance, Dashboards and Reports. It’s everything you would expect from an enterprise web console and best of all it frees you up from having to access the full Operations Console.
Unfortunately, it suffers from several limitations that essentially render it unusable in today’s modern-day IT enterprise:
- Painfully slow during initial launch and within complex views. I is unstable and prone to crashing.
- No authoring capabilities except for dashboards.
- Can’t access data from the warehouse.*
- Internet Explorer only. Requires Silverlight and an initial configuration upon first use.
*Through the creation of Dashboards you can select Widgets that pull their data from the data warehouse. This is very bad for anyone with a multi-tenant management group because there is no role security on the data warehouse like there is with the OperationsManager database. The result is while a user is browsing creating their dashboard they will have access to all data.
The demand for access to System Center Operations Manager data has expanded well beyond the traditional IT. Business owners, application developers and executives are requesting access. They want visibility and transparency into the health of the applications they are responsible for.
One of the biggest challenges in any System Center Operations Manager deployment is accessibility – getting users access to data without going through the desktop console. This by itself is enough to discourage wide-spread adoption of System Center Operations Manager.
Squared Up to the Rescue! Squared Up (www.squaredup.com) has the perfect solution. Their modern HTML 5 presentation layer for System Center Operations Manager is simple, extremely fast and works on any device. It offers a wealth of functionality and brings tremendous value to System Center Operations Manager Administrators and End-Users. It is the default console Infinity Connected™. It fulfills every one of our functional and performance requirements – especially when it comes to heavy loads.
Custom Monitoring Configuration – You can implement and maintain the following functionality from within the Squared Up console:
- Windows Services – Service Availability
- Processes – Process Availability
- Performance Metrics – Performance Collection with Thresholds
- Log File Entries – Check for Entries in Text Based Log Files
- Windows Event Logs – Check for Entries in Windows Event Logs
Access to the Data Warehouse (with Security) – Your performance graphs are no longer limited to the data in the primary database – data is pulled from the data warehouse so you can access historical data without having to access the Reporting console.
Operations Console – Squared Up simplifies System Center Operations Manager alerts, reduces the cost of IT support while improving the accuracy of alert triaging, escalation and diagnostics.
- Smart Alert View – Everything you need to prioritize and act.
- Service Impact – Instantly see which IT services are affected.
- Company Knowledge Made Easy – Edit knowledge articles directly in your browser.
- Advanced Diagnostics – Server health, and performance visualized.
- HTML Alert Emails – Clear, engaging email format.
Mobile Access – Squared Up enables your support teams to effectively respond to System Center Operations Manager alerts from any location:
- All Platforms – iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry
- Integrated into Operations Manager Notifications – Hyperlinked directly from alert emails.
- Escalate or Fix – Acknowledge alerts or run SCOM tasks from your phone.
- Health and Performance Diagnostics – Diagnose complex issues remotely.
- Dashboard Access – Get the full context with access to web dashboards.
Web Dashboards – Squared Up enables you to deliver visibility into the health of your IT infrastructure to anyone, anywhere using standard web technology.
Customization – With SquaredUp’ s customization capabilities rich, application-centric dashboards can be authored in a snap:
- Deliver Anywhere – Embed in any web page, deliver to any device.
- Less Chrome and More Clarity – Focus on the health of your system with an uncluttered view.
- Drill Down to Root Cause – All dashboards link through to the underlying alerts and health state.
- SharePoint Integration – Publish using the standard SharePoint Page Viewer Web Part.
- Custom Dashboard Design – Specific requirements? Squared Up will build any visualization for you.
Performance Reporting – Squared Up makes it easy to use real performance data from across your entire data center for fast and informed decision-making.
- Hassle Free Web Access – No complex reporting infrastructure.
- Highly Optimized – Responsive graphs and reduced load on your data warehouse.
- Elegant Presentation – Clearly presented performance data, exportable to PDF.
- Comparative Analysis – Put performance data in context by comparing across instances.
- Sparkline Overviews – Quickly locate bottlenecks, trends and spikes.
Download your 30 Day Trial Now and kick the tires. Setup is fast and easy.